Monday, September 12, 2011

Back to school bags

So the little kiddos have gone back to school, but the big kids have not.  The best “back to school” gift for anyone going to college, pursuing a graduate degree, or undergoing a change of careers is a grownup book bag.  Here are a few of my favorites:

Hippo Bags, The Sakanella Satchel – I’d call this the “rugged classic” and it retails for $1060, comes in five colors with four hardware choices.  I like the Tobacco with two straps, horseshoe style in silver.

JD Leatherworks, The Messenger – Can’t find a price, or much info, only photos on Flickr, but I like it just the same.  I’d call this the “modern” since it has very clean lines and the leather appears un-dyed.  The natural tooling leather will create a beautiful patina over time if you leave it just the way it is. 

 

Laba Bags, Gang of Four No. 2  I am totally in love with these.  I can’t find an online shop for them, but I bet if you asked really nicely, you could have one shipped from the guy in Thailand who makes them.  They have that perfect retro-Asian fusion that I love so much. He makes killer yoga bags, too.

 

Aspinal of London, Calvary Messenger Bag – I am a bit obsessed with English fashion at the moment, so this should be no surprise.  This one I might call “Metro Prep” if I had to call it anything.  The sporty strap with the smooth leather is a sophisticated combination for high school, college, graduate school or even a professional.   Retails for $589.00.

ReLoad, Superluxe – these remind me a little bit of Timbuk2, but not everyone will have one.  And they are all made in-house (my guess is that this means handmade, but no longer by one artist).  Best of all, they indulge custom orders!  Definitely the “sporty” one, but still sophisticated.  Prices start at $215.

Need more ideas?  Design Tavern does a list of 20 Stunning Handmade Messenger Bags, including the Woody Bag by Moxie and Oliver.

Happy shopping.

C

1 comment: